Palio di Siena Horse Race
Emerse yourself in the emotions of Siena’s world famous medieval horse race, Il Palio. As featured in the opening scenes of the James Bond film, ‘Quantum of Solace’, this high energy, emotionally charged race is an event not to be missed.
The traditions of the Palio, a festival in honour of the Virgin Mary, date back to the Middle Ages. It has existed in its present form since 1656, running twice a year on July 2nd (Palio di Provenzano) and August 16th (Palio dell’Assunta). Every year on these dates Siena comes alive with colorful tradition for four days filled with historical parades, flag throwing competitions, and banquets in anticipation of the big race round the town’s main square, Piazza del Campo.
The race is preceded by a splendid parade, Corteo Storico, before the jockeys take their positions and ride bareback round Piazza del Campo.
- Round trip transport
- Tour Leader (Italian/English)
- Visit Palazzo Salimeni, the historic headquarters of the oldest bank in Italy
- Observe the blessing of one the horses, a historic pre-race ritual
- Watch the race from the center of Piazza del Campo
- Free time for lunch
- Please wear sensible shoes – ballet flats, sandals or sneakers are suitable. There is no difficult walking but you will be standing for most of the day. It is important that you are comfortable.
- We recommend brining suncreen and a hat.
- We regret to inform that this tour is not suitable for guests with wheelchairs or with impaired mobility.
- We will visit some of the key sights in Siena but mobility is limited due to the crowds and some roads that are closed for the Medieval Procession that leads up to the Palio. The Medieval Procession runs through the streets of Siena and eventually into Piazza del Campo. You can get an up close look at the Medieval costumes and the different colours and symbols representing each Contrada.
- Budget: You will need to have enough money for food (lunch, drinks and snacks) and any souvenirs you choose to buy. The prices in Siena are similar to Florence and there are a range of options including sandwiches, pizza by the slice, pasta, gelato, restaurants, etc.
- Please make sure you have cash for small purchases such as water and using the bathroom in Siena. Note: that it may not be possible to find an ATM on the day.
DURATION: 14 hours
From Our Blog
REGULAR TOURS – GENERAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
Tours can be performed in various languages.
Clients are requested to arrive at the meeting point to check-in wioth the guide on time. Departure will be shortly after.
No refund will be given to those clients who do not show up at the meeting point at the set time or to clients who lose contact with the guide or who do not complete the tour.
Free cancellation within 48 hours prior the tour departure, unless noted otherwise.
Please note that all the tours by train are not refundable once booked.
CANCELLATION BY THE TOUR OPERATOR
When, for any reason, the Tour Operator cancels the excursion, the client has the right to claim reimbursement, only of the sum paid.
In case of unforeseen circumstances (strikes, road conditions, weather, etc) FlorenceForFun may modify the itinerary with alternative solutions maintaining the duration and quality of the service.
Any complaint by the client must be communicated in writing to FlorenceForFun staff within and no later than 10 business days after the date of the tour.
Complaints or disputes that cannot be resolved amicably between the client and the Tour Operator, shall be referred to the Florence Court.